I Love Lucy

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Wikis

At first when I started to read about wikis, I wondered how useful they would be considering how open they are to spam and other unwanted tampering. I have since reversed my thoughts. I can see many uses for a tool such as this.

I believe it very important to finding and posting information on a local level. We often find the most difficult questions are those linked to county, city, village or even township events. On many websites this type of information is hard to find and even does not exist. I see all of those small pieces of information we often collect on our computers to be a perfect example of a wiki wannabe. Hard-to-find information can be opened up to patrons in the know about events around town. Even those coming to visit from outside the area would find this information helpful.

We could obviously take this a different direction when it comes to internal information that needs disseminated to library employees. An article I read mentioned staff instruction documents placed on wikis.

Wikis are wonderful bits of informantion by subjects both specific and general. The possiblities are endless. Now learning how to create on is on my to-do list.

No comments: